The International Literary Translation and Creative Writing Summer School 2016 is open for applications
To be delivered by the British Centre for Literary Translation at the University of East Anglia in partnership with Writers’ Centre Norwich – 24 to 30 July 2016.
The 2016 BCLT Summer School will take place at the University of East Anglia and at Dragon Hall, flagship building for Norwich UNESCO City of Literature. Run by the British Centre for Literary Translation in partnership with Writers’ Centre Norwich, the Summer School brings together writers and translators for an intensive, one-week, residential programme of hands-on translation and creative writing practice.
For language specific workshops, groups will work on a collaborative translation with the author in residence and workshop leader.
For translators working from any other languages to the above, there are two multilingual workshops, one for poetry and one for prose. These are designed for translators working from any language into English.
The programme will include creative writing sessions designed for literary translators as well as lectures and readings. All workshops are designed to encourage collaboration and peer learning in a small group setting.
Language specific workshops:
- German to English workshop, led by Katy Derbyshire, with Rasha Khayat
- Korean to English workshop, led by Deborah Smith, with Hwang Jung-eun
- Russian to English workshop, led by Dr Oliver Ready, with Dmitriy Garichev
- Swedish to English workshop, led by Dr B.J. Epstein, with Kristina Sandberg
Multilingual workshops for translators translating from any other language into English:
- Multilingual Prose workshop, led by Daniel Hahn
- Multilingual Poetry workshop, led by Fiona Sampson
Closing date for applications – 15 May 2016
Applications may be accepted after the advertised deadline at the discretion of the delivering partner institutions.
Summer School 2016 Packages
There are two packages which you can choose for enrolment:
Residential Package – £650 including all tuition, accommodation for 6 nights on the beautiful UEA campus in a single en-suite room, breakfast, morning and afternoon refreshments, lunch and dinner.
- The opening and closing dinners will be buffet style with wine, the other evenings where dinner is provided will comprise a 3-course meal with wine.
- Wednesday is a free afternoon and evening where afternoon refreshments and evening dinner are not included.
Non-residential Package – £250 including all tuition, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.
- The non-residential package also includes opening and closing evening dinners which will be buffet style with wine.
- Wednesday is a free afternoon and evening where afternoon refreshments are not included.
Supporters of the Summer School
Summer School 2016 gratefully acknowledges the support of Writers’ Centre Norwich, the University of East Anglia, Arts Council England, the Goethe-Institut, LTI Korea, the Institute for Literary Translation (Moscow) and the Swedish Arts Council.
For information on the International Literary Translation and Creative Writing Summer School 2015:
Translations from summer schools and international workshops are available in the translation section of New Writing: http://www.newwriting.net/translation
There are films and interviews from previous Summer Schools on our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/bcltuea