Delivered by the British Centre for Literary Translation at the University of East Anglia in partnership with Writers' Centre Norwich
The Summer School brings together writers and translators for an intensive, one-week, residential programme of hands-on translation and creative writing practice.
For language-specific workshops, groups work on a collaborative translation with the author in residence and workshop leader.
For translators working from any other languages there are two multilingual workshops, one for poetry and one for prose. These are designed for translators working from any language into English.
All workshops are designed to encourage collaboration and peer learning in a small group setting.
International Literary Translation and Creative Writing Summer School 2017
23 - 29 July 2017
If applying for the Lithuanian workshop, download sample translation piece and return with application form.
Deadline 14th May 2017 - although we will be reviewing applications periodically before this date and may choose a proportion of successful participants prior to this deadline.
Confirmed workshops available in 2017:
- Bengali to English workshop
- English to Spanish workshop
- German to English workshop
- Korean to English workshop
- Lithuanian to English workshop
- Multilingual Prose workshop, translating into English
- Multilingual Poetry workshop, translating into English
- Spanish to English workshop
Supporters of the Summer School 2017
Summer School 2017 gratefully acknowledges the support of Writers' Centre Norwich, University of East Anglia, Arts Council England, Goethe-Institut, LTI Korea, Lithuanian Culture Institute and the Arts & Humanities Research Council.
There are two packages to choose from in 2017:
Residential Package - £700 including all tuition, accommodation for 6 nights on the beautiful UEA campus in a single en-suite room, breakfast, morning and afternoon refreshments, lunch and dinner.
- There will be a mixture of buffet style dinners with wine and more formal 3-course meals with wine.
- Wednesday will be a free afternoon and evening where afternoon refreshments and evening dinner are not included.
Non-residential Package - £275 including all tuition, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.
- The non-residential package includes opening and closing evening dinners with wine.
- Wednesday is a free afternoon and evening where afternoon refreshments are not included.
Whilst we are finalising details of the 2017 Summer School, you can read about last year's Summer School here:
International Literary Translation and Creative Writing Summer School 2016
The 2016 BCLT Summer School took place at the University of East Anglia and at Dragon Hall, 24 - 30 July 2016. The workshops available in 2016 were:
- German to English workshop, led by Katy Derbyshire, with Rasha Khayat
- Korean to English workshop, led by Deborah Smith, with Hwang Jung-eun
- Russian to English workshop, led by Dr Oliver Ready, with Dmitriy Garichev
- Swedish to English workshop, led by Dr B.J. Epstein, with Kristina Sandberg
Multilingual workshops for translators translating from any other language into English:
- Multilingual Prose workshop, led by Daniel Hahn
- Multilingual Poetry workshop, led by Fiona Sampson