International Literary Translation & Creative Writing Summer School
Delivered by the British Centre for Literary Translation in partnership with the National Centre for Writing
The 2020 BCLT Summer School is taking place ONLINE, 20-24 July 2020.
The annual BCLT Summer School brings together writers and translators for an intensive, one-week, programme of hands-on translation and creative writing practice. The event this year will be slightly different as it is taking place online. This is a first for us in our 21-year Summer School history, but we are excited about what this new type of event has to offer.
The online Summer School will include many of our regular activities plus a few different sessions unique to the new online format:
- Language-specific workshop strands in Danish, Dutch, French and Norwegian - these groups will work on a collaborative translation with an author in residence and the workshop leader.
- Multilingual Prose and Multilingual Theatre workshops for those translating from any language into English
- Training the Trainer workshop strand for more experienced translators who would like to start running literary translation workshops in their home country
- All workshops are designed to encourage collaboration and peer learning in a small group setting (maximum of 10 translators in a group).
- Creative Writing workshops
- Author and translator readings
- Plenary panels with industry professionals
- Short talks on hot topics
- Optional online evening social events