International Literary Translation & Creative Writing Summer School, 20 - 24 July 2020
Delivered by the British Centre for Literary Translation in partnership with the National Centre for Writing
The 2020 BCLT Summer School will be an ONLINE event! Therefore we are extending our application deadline to Monday 18th May 2020. Please note: Due to new bursaries becoming available for Dutch, the Dutch deadline has been extended to Friday 22nd May 2020.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR ALL WORKSHOPS EXCEPT DUTCH. Visit our 'How to apply' page to find out more.
The annual BCLT Summer School brings together writers and translators for an intensive, one-week, programme of hands-on translation and creative writing practice. The event this year will be slightly different as it is taking place online. This is a first for us in our 21-year Summer School history, but we are excited about what this new type of event has to offer.
The Summer School this year will run from Monday 20th - Friday 24th July 2020 and will include many of our regular activities plus a few different sessions unique to the new online format:
- Language-specific workshop strands in Danish, Dutch, French and Norwegian - these groups will work on a collaborative translation with an author in residence and the workshop leader.
- Multilingual Prose and Multilingual Theatre workshops for those translating from any language into English
- Training the Trainer workshop strand for more experienced translators who would like to start running literary translation workshops in their home country
- All workshops are designed to encourage collaboration and peer learning in a small group setting (maximum of 10 translators in a group).
- Creative Writing workshops
- Author and translator readings
- Plenary panels with industry professionals
- Short talks on hot topics
- Optional online evening social events
We are currently finalising details regarding the online platform that we will be using. Before applying for the online event please consider the following:
- Is my internet connection reliable?
- Do I have a computer with a working camera, microphone and speaker?
- Does my computer have Chrome (this is necessary for the teaching software to work)?
- Will I be able to attend all of the sessions during the week? Sessions will take place between 9.30am-5.30pm (British Summer Time) with evening social events from 7-9pm (British Summer Time). Please check how these times work within your time zone.
The online Summer School fee will be as follows:
2020 Package - £250 including all tuition in groups of up to 10 translators - Literary Translation workshops, readings, creative writing workshops, plenary sessions and social events.
Further details on the languages on offer can be found on our Programme page plus details of workshop leaders and authors attending the 2020 Summer School can be found here.
© Photography by Anita Staff - www.anitastaff.com