International Literary Translation & Creative Writing Summer School, 21 - 27 July 2019
Delivered by the British Centre for Literary Translation in partnership with the National Centre for Writing
The Summer School brings together writers and translators for an intensive, one-week, residential programme of hands-on translation and creative writing practice.
For most language-specific workshops, groups work on a collaborative translation with the author in residence and workshop leader.
For translators working from any other languages there are two multilingual workshops, one for poetry and one for prose. These are designed for translators working from any language into English.
All workshops are designed to encourage collaboration and peer learning in a small group setting.
During the week, the workshops are complemented by creative writing workshops and plenary sessions.
The 2019 workshops will be:
1) French to English & English to French
Workshop leader - Arianne Des Rochers
Author - Nathanaël
2) Italian to English
Workshop leader - Shaun Whiteside
Author - Elvira Dones
Please note that all sucessful Italian workshop applicants will receive a £400 bursary and £100 travel bursary funded by Pro Helvetia.
3) Multilingual Poetry
Workshop leader - Clare Pollard
4) Multilingual Prose with a particular focus on Children's & Young Adult Fiction
Workshop leader - Daniel Hahn
5) Slovenian to English
Workshop leader - Olivia Hellewell
Author - TBC
6) Spanish to English
Workshop leader - Anne McLean
Author - Lina Meruane
The 2019 Summer School is kindly supported by Arts Council England, Arts & Humanities Research Council, Literature Translation Institute of Korea, Literary Translators’ Association of Canada/Association des traducteurs et traductrices littéraires du Canada and Pro Helvetia.
© Photography by Anita Staff
There are two packages to choose from:
2019 Residential Package - £700 including all tuition, accommodation for 6 nights on the beautiful UEA campus in a single en-suite room, breakfast, morning and afternoon refreshments, lunch and dinner.
- There will be a mixture of dinners, including buffets, a BBQ and a more formal 3-course meal with wine.
- Wednesday will be a free afternoon and evening where afternoon refreshments and evening dinner are not included.
2019 Non-residential Package - £400 including all tuition, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.
- The non-residential package includes opening and closing evening dinners with wine. There will be an option to book onto other evening meals if you would like to attend them.
- Wednesday is a free afternoon and evening where afternoon refreshments are not included.